Tuesday 8 May 2012

Day 13, 14, 15 IVF Cycle

Day 13 IVF Cycle

We went for our last scan on Friday.  The Dr was stuck in theatre, and so we actually never saw him.  One of the more experienced nurses came through and did the scan for me.  It looks like I have more than 12 follicles and the leading follicle is 18mm, and lining at 7.7mm.

All is progressing well and Egg Retrieval, or aspiration, will definitely be on Monday.

Because of the number of eggs and the feeling of heavy fullness I have in my ovaries they sent me across the way to the Lancet Lab in the hospital for an Urgent E2 blood test.  This measures the amount of Oestrogen and if too high can be an indicator of Ovarian Hyper stimulation which can lead to Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome (OHSS).  This is a painful experience, and in severe cases can lead to hospitalisation.

Basically, because the ovaries have produced so many eggs, the follicles, once they burst, leak fluid into the abdominal cavity.  This fluid build-up causes the pain. In severe cases a patient needs to be hospitalised to drain the fluid.

My neck spasm is getting worse and my physio is off sick.  She told me that I could make an appointment for Saturday, but she won’t be working that either according to the receptionist.  Bummer.  I need to find another one.  My Colleague sends me to hers, just up the road form Sandton Medi Clinic.  I go.

It’s amazing how every physio has a different way and a different touch.  I am qualified to make this observation I have seen more than enough of them in my time.

My E2 levels came back at 12 140, which seemed high to me - I have no reference point whatsoever.  I moaned about it on the forum and another lady told me that hers were 17 000 and her doc wasn’t phased.  That put me at ease a bit

We have friends staying with us for the weekend, but luckily they were at a wedding on the Friday night, so I could just drag my weary carcass some and to early bed.

Day 14

Planning on just spending the morning relaxing at home.  I get a call from the Clinic at about 10 am to tell me to go and have a follow up blood test.  I decide to go down the road to the local Healthworks which has a Lancet testing station.  My friends and I head off to Cresta. 

Once my test is done we proceed to shop for 3 pairs of men’s shoes, from one end of the centre to the other.  My dietician would be so proud - I am getting my 90 minutes of exercise today, even if it is only walking. 

My neck is worse than yesterday.  At the prospect of only being able to see another Physio on Monday I decide to use the voucher that I was given for Life Day Spa in Fourways.

Oh my word what a luxurious place.  Just like the American day spas you see in the movies.  You het assigned a locker with a towel and a robe and slippers. I lounged with my husband in the heated pool. (just on body temperature - no chance of ricking the swimmers), and then we both went for Hot Stone Therapy Massages, One hour of full body bliss. So good. I then enjoyed the Sauna and the Swiss shower before having a real shower and getting back to Hub who was not allowed to enjoy the sauna or the steam room, and just patiently waited for me.

Neck is keeling a bit better now. 

I get a call from the nurse from the clinic to ask for my ID no.  The doctor wants to see my blood results before I trigger tonight. (the trigger is the injection that causes the eggs to be released from the ovaries - in my case readies them to be collected from the ovaries.)

I am supposed to trigger at 11pm.  She calls at 8:30pm to tell me the level has risen to 13 000 but not to worry I can trigger anyway.  I have a million questions but it’s a bad line, and she just wants to get off the phone.  I am getting the sense that this clinic is not big on giving unnecessary details.  I am on a need to know basis. 

We finish an evening of Munchkin and Banannagrams with our dear friends staying with us.  It’s so good just to relax and spend time together, fighting monsters and stabbing one another in the back.  It’s great to have good bananagrams competition too!

I trigger at 11:07 and we go to sleep.

Day 15

At church I can’t hold it together.  We learned a new song at church and the words smashed down all my defences and make me howl.

Never Once - Matt Redman

Standing on this mountaintop
looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Every step we are breathing in Your grace
Evermore we’ll be breathing out Your praise
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

'Cause this is exactly how I am feeling.  This Journey has sucked, and left emotional scars and bruises, even on my relationship with God.  But we are here now, we have reached a mountain top in out treatment.  today is my injection free day.  I have triggered.  There is nothing more I can do.  I have done everyhing I could.  I have eaten right.  I have drunk the right amount of liquids, I have exercised as much as my schedule will allow.  All I can do is rely on God and his faithfulness.

After the service some of the Elders, the Pastor and our cell group and people who have supported us prayed for us, and anointed me with oil. We are praying for a good number of eggs to be retrieved.  For a great fertilisation report, for healthy embryos to put back, and for a positive outcome - a pregnancy.  We are also praying that I don’t develop OHSS along the way.

We go home to say good bye to our friends that have been staying with us.  More tears and prayer.  My friend is a pastor - he thinks this baby has been so difficult to conceive because of the massive call on his (yes he thinks it’s a boy) life.  That’s pretty biblical, because each of the women that struggled with infertility in the bible had an incredibly significant child

Sarah - Isaac, the father of Jacob, renamed Israel by God, who fathered 12 sons which went on to define the tribes of Israel
Rachel - the mother of Joseph and Benjamin.  Joseph went on to become an Egyptian official who was able to save his family from famine
Hannah - Samuel the prophet who anointed Saul and David as King of Israel
Elizabeth - John the Baptist, cleared the way and prepared hearts for Jesus the Son of God, and baptised Jesus

That’s an impressive list of infertile mammas that gave birth to sons with serious destiny.  But in all of these guys the timing was everything.  If they had been born any earlier they would not have been perfectly positioned in time for what they did.

We head off to my parents place for an early mother’s day lunch - my Mom and Sister are heading to Europe on Thursday.  After lunch we all sit round and they present me with cards and a Nomination bracelet charm with a Pink pram on it.  So thoughtful.  More prayer from the family. Shew.  I feel some pressure to get this right.  My sister in particular is also very emotional, and really really keen to be an aunty.

Home, rest.  I read, Hub works.  We end off an emotionally charged day with 2 episodes of NYPD Blues - all the way out of 1994.

Tomorrow is Aspiration day.




2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and hoping all goes well. Hope your neck gets better too. I really like the way you say the struggle brings on a significant child - I think it must be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Stumbled upon your blog while I was searching for some key words... I'm on Day 7 of my IVF cycle. Not too far from you and I'm so scared. My stomach feels like I've been punched (feeling bruised due to the daily jabs) & I'm extremely bloated. I hope this is normal.

    Anyway, here's wishing you luck! Baby dust blown
    your way!

    Cheers
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete